Preserving our lands and heritage through land conservation
Thank you to all our contributing Photographers! we so appreciate you!
A special thank you to Tom Taylor for our 2022/23 Calendar Cover Photo and our website header.
Agricultural Conservation Easement
Who entered into the Conservation Easement agreement?
The Easement was entered into by Danna Properties, L.P. and the Sutter Buttes Regional Land Trust.
When was the Conservation Easement completed?
The original agreement between Danna Properties, L.P. and the Sutter Buttes Regional Land Trust was finalized on February 17th, 2023
Where is the Danna Farms Agricultural Conservation Easement located?
The property is located off Feather River Blvd., in the southern tip of Yuba County.
What types of conservation values does the agreement protect?
A land protection agreement (conservation easement) is a voluntary legal agreement a landowner makes to restrict the amount and type of future development and potential use. The Danna Farms Agricultural Conservation Easement was created to permanently protect 876 acres of prime California farmland, allowing the land to remain in productive agricultural use while also protecting valuable riparian habitat, viewshed, and open space into perpetuity. The easement preserves the agricultural landscape of our community, adds to existing protected areas, and creates a buffer of open space around development.
How was the easement funded?
SBRLT acquired the Easement with funding from both the Sustainable Agricultural Lands Conservation Program (SALC), which the California Strategic Growth Council administers in collaboration with the Department of Conservation (DOC); and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP). 75 percent of awarded monies were provided through SALC. The remaining 25 percent was provided under a grant awarded through ACEP.
“We’re excited to support SBRLT in acquiring this agricultural land for permanent protection,” said Lynn von Koch-Liebert, Executive Director of the California Strategic Growth Council. “The Danna Farms Conservation Easement will strengthen the region’s rural economy while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and accelerating open space conservation.” “It’s always rewarding to help protect the state’s natural and working lands — especially when it’s highly productive farmland like Danna Farms that has been under the stewardship of the same family for generations,” said David Shabazian, Director of Department of Conservation. “And, of course, the SALC program not only preserves properties such as this but has the additional benefits of reducing potential large increased emissions that come from urbanization while at the same time protecting important natural functions that communities depend on.”
SALC is part of California Climate Investments, a statewide initiative that puts billions of Cap-and-Trade dollars to work reducing greenhouse gas emissions, strengthening the economy, and improving public health and the environment – particularly in disadvantaged communities.
“NRCS is proud to work with our conservation partners to preserve this agricultural property for perpetuity,” said Carlos Suarez, NRCS California state conservationist. “We deem these types of properties to be local agricultural treasures and use ACEP to protect these properties for continued agricultural production.”
Danna Farms ACE was funded by the following partners:
Increase awareness through supporting education, and conservation programs.
Build partnerships to balance conservation with economic growth, flood protection & agriculture
Provide the resources to create extraordinary opportunities and preserve the Sutter Buttes legacy.
Property is more than just real estate. It is a legacy, a part of family heritage.
Copyright © 2022 Sutter Buttes Regional Land Trust | Yuba City, California. | Website hosting and design by Blueray Concepts